JUMPSTART CHALLENGES are not contests. There is no prize. We give you a writing prompt and you do something creative with it. We'll publish the best pieces we receive in response. Push the edges, break the rules, be surprising and unexpected. Show us how creative you are.
What to do:
- Read a couple of short stories or poems at Typishly to see what we publish.
- Read the JUMPSTART CHALLENGE PROMPT BELOW.
- You do NOT have to use the exact words in the prompt. It's meant as a creative jumpstart.
- You DO have to write an original poem or story using the idea in the writing prompt as the core of your piece. (Don't just drop our idea into an old existing story you already have stored on your hard drive. Write something new that uses our prompt as its driver.)
- Submit ONE story - OR - ONE poem in a submission. (It's okay to write an epic, long poem if you like.)
- Tell us a bit about yourself. Let us know if you've been published and where. Why do you write?
JUMPSTART CHALLENGE: WRITING PROMPT
A 19-year-old girl is in the airport in Los Angeles at 2 a.m. She pays cash for a one-way flight to Paris. She has no baggage, just a small piece of green paper folded up neatly and hidden inside her left sock.
(HINTS: Who is she? Why is she in the airport? How did she manage to pay cash for the ticket? Why is she going to Paris? What's that hidden piece of paper about? You get the idea. Good luck!)